Saturday, April 29, 2006

Setting foot on Mt. Everest - what made me think of this?

In reply to the question posed in title of this post, I'd have loved to give a reply "Because it's there..", but as fellow trekkers would be knowing it well, George Leigh Mallory gave this classical reply way back in 1924 (the question was the same). Since then it has been quoted so often that it can safely be categorised as a cliche.

For me, Himalayas since long have been a necessity more than a wish. The fall of 2004 (November) was one unforgettable experience, one that endorsed the fact that trekking (more so in the Himalayas) is by far the most important aim in my life. And it wasn't the beginning of a dream, but in fact it was a journey aptly titled as Inching Closer to Reality.

After successfully reaching the base of Sagarmatha (Nepalese for Mount Everest) in November 2004, from the South Face (via Nepal), the seed was sown. It was going to be just a matter of time till I would get a chance to return to the tallest mountain, the overwhelming mass of which simply leaves me gaping in awe. In Fall 2004, as per our plan, we were scheduled to cover two things: [a] Trekking to Mount Everest Base Camp (EBC) and [b] Summitting Kala Patthar, a 5545 metre peak which provides some magnificient views of Everest. We were successful in going to EBC. The day after that, we were to summit Kala Patthar, but we did not get a good weather window, and we were forced to retreat.

Sometimes things that remain incomplete due to circumstances not in our control, end up inspiring us to do better. While making plans for the Spring 2006 trek, I was insistent that we must return to summit Kala Patthar to complete the aborted mission. While doing so, we had planned to summit another peak named Gokyo Ri, not too far away from the trail. This planning had happened towards the end of 2005.

Some days later, word spread that Gautam Patil was on his way to being the first Indian to climb all 7 summits, the tallest peaks in each continent, Everest being the last, to be attempted in Spring 2006. I just presumed that he would be attempting from South Face, and under that presumption, I shot off an email to him saying that our paths could probably cross, being the same time period, and I showed interest in helping his mission - it was named Everest Peace Project. In the snippet below, you'll find Gautam Patil's reply to the email that I had sent to him, asking if I could join on the trek to Everest Base Camp (under the presumption that he too would be attempting the South Face route).

---------- Gautam's email reply to me, start ----------

Hi Aniket,

Thanks so much for writing me! I applaud your interest in hiking in the Himalayas and hope our paths cross in the near future.....

As it turns out, I have signed up with the Everest Peace Project and am going through the North Side. You may be familiar with our website which we try to update now and then :) It is at www.isummitworld.com and should have more information on that. A few friends want to go with me on the North Side but as you know its more of a Manali-Leh type journey - mainly driving. However, a tourist can go as high as Advanced Base Camp on the North Side and that could be attractive to those who are ....well.... fit.

Keep me posted on your adventures.

Climb High!!

Gautam
www.isummitworld.com

---------- Gautam's email reply to me, end ----------

This reply inspired me a lot, and the impulsive nerve immediately struck. I made a proposal to Anup, my trek buddy. Destination: Qomolangma Camp III (Advanced Base Camp, North Face), situated at an altitude of 6400 metres (21120 feet) ASL.


Qomolangma from Base Camp, North Face, Tibet


We are all set to depart on 15th May 2006. Before I leave for highest trek in the world, I hope to share with you how events unfolded between the day I dreamt of this trek till the course was all set for it to be a reality. In one sentence, I can say that I felt like riding on a sine wave all through this time. Lucky that Anup, Shantanu and I (the Qomolangma Camp III [ABC] expedition team) held tight while riding on the sine wave. It was very easily possible for us to have let go at any stage, but at the risk of sounding proud, I must say that perseverance pays off in the long run. Many thanks to Gautam, you have been the factor that set me on course to the highest trek in the world!

To end this post, I'd like to use the quote Gautam uses as the final line in his emails or articles.

Climb High!


P.S:
For all those who might be still wondering (or unaware of) what Qomolangma is, read this.

Some acronyms that might be of help for those novice to trekking/mountaineering:

ASL = Above Sea Level
EBC = Everest Base Camp
ABC = Advanced Base Camp (Camp III, North Face of Everest, Tibet).
Altitude: 6400 metres/21120 feet ASL

4 Comments:

At 2:34 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Hey Dude - saw your Blog and the news on you goign to MntEv. Damn neat - :)

send in lots of pics - this would be great i am sure

BTW - do drop into my blog sometime for a smile
www.sam-a.blogspot.com

Go Mount Everest,
Sam

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger indiwriter said...

hm..interesting... "because it's there" ? or maybe because it's something inside us?

you might like to read this book - Life and Death on Mt.Everest by Sherry Ortner - mainly explores the psychological aspects of mountain climbing..

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Aniket Anikhindi said...

Sure Sam - will certainly get back lotsa photos and a few videos too..

Al - I plan to read that book you said, but I'll buy it from Kathmandu itself, as there would a load of books I want to purchase from there (related to mountaineering)

Thanks!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Anil Rao said...

goodluck aniket, looking fwd to read your trek report

 

Post a Comment

<< Home